Fraud Alert – Selling your car
“REMEMBER, YOU ARE THE SELLER”
If you are selling your car via a classified advertisement or auction site, be aware of the following fraud scam: Fraudsters may contact you through your advert, normally by text message and provide you with a link to a fraudulent website.
- The website may look professional and similar to the “original” website that you advertised on.
- It will explain that there is a ‘potential purchaser’ for your car.
- It will ask you to pay a small “arrangement” fee to ensure the purchase takes place by using an e-money method; which could be via UKASH or PAYSAFE vouchers, for example.
- It will instruct you to purchase the vouchers and may even provide you with a link to a list of the shops in your area that sell them.
- You are then asked to input the unique codes from the e-money product that you have just purchased.
- Once inputted your money is gone!
Protect However urgently you wish to sell your car, do not be misled because of a need to sell it!
- Do not pay an advanced fee for the sale of your vehicle.
- Meet face to face for an agreed sale and only accept cash.